Monday, January 16, 2006

lots of blossoms .....

Hey .... it's been a while since I last wrote and there's lots to tell you, so please come back again in the next few days as I have a few other posts to make.

Meanwhile I want to show you some of the things that are in bloom around the garden right now! Yes, it's early January and lots of stuff is out!










Does anyone out there know what this is? It's on a shrub, but I haven't a clue and I haven't found it in any of my books yet. I'll keep looking, but in the meantime, if you have any idea, please e-mail me with guesses, information or whatever!

mailto:joanarnfield@gmail.com








This is a closeup of the flowers of the Wych Hazel (Hammemelis) and the following picture is a shot of the little tree. As you can see, it's covered in blossom.





























We also have heathers, viburnums and a huge Mahonia japonica in bloom. Some of them have lovely scent, and of course there are insects around to smell that scent and pollinate the flowers. It's so mild here. Last night we had a frost for a few hours and the car was covered in ice, but by morning it had all melted away and I was able to work in the garden all day.

Lucky white heather
This picture's for you!
It didn't cost nothin'
So I'm lucky too!!!!!













This is the Mahonia - it's about 12 ft high and must have a canopy diameter of at least 10 feet. The beech in the background is in my neighbour's garden. It's still holding onto its leaves for some reason. Most beeches dumped their leaves a couple of months ago.


Stay tuned for more posts (if I can fit them into my busy social life!).....